THINGS YOU WILL ONLY ENCOUNTER WHILE TRAVELING WITH GREG PFLUG

Wednesday, June 20, 2007


So here is half the boats we needed for last weeks nighttime paddle in Mosquito Lagoon. I thought the van looked cool all loaded down and ready for action.
Spent the last two days at the beach with the family (no photos). The boys had a great time surfing and playing in the pool. Many thanks to Aunt Sue and Pappa Wendell for use of their beach condo!
Will leave tomorrow night for North Carolina for a week paddling in the Smokys. I'm way over due for some cool mountain air and big, fast, and steep white water.
I turned a friend on to a book (Jayber Crow) from Wendell Berry and she sent me this fantastic poem from the same author. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry-

No comments: