THINGS YOU WILL ONLY ENCOUNTER WHILE TRAVELING WITH GREG PFLUG

Monday, September 22, 2008

This was e-mailed to me by my good friend and fellow Green River paddler. He wanted to find the exact source of the Green River. So he grabbed some maps, some reference books, and his dog Lucky and hit the trail.



Waterfall Below Stroud Glacier, Where I Took a Shower in Ancient Glacial Melt



Green River Source

Weeping tears of ancient water
falling on my thighs
I stand in a shower
of the melting Stroud Glacier
high on Knapsack Col
The start of Green River ’s ramble
to the Sea of Cortez
Water from this ancient glacier
being unlocked by Mother earth
hot flashes of carbon dioxide
Water that will not return
until the next Ice Age
long after we are gone
As farewell, my tears
are added to the streaming exit.

Chuck Ernst

No comments: